bnn.lv Latviski   bnn-news.com English   bnn-news.ru По-русски
Ceturtdiena 17.08.2017 | Name days: Oļegs, Vineta

12.98 million cubic meters of wood felled in Latvia last year

12.98 million cubic meters of wood were felled in Latvia in 2010, of which 7.64 million cubic meters (58.9% of the total volume) were cut in public forests.

Political parties receive huge donations despite crisis

During the recent municipal and European Parliament elections in 2009, several Latvian political parties received illegal contributions or membership fees exceeding 42 000 lats.

End of producers' original goods is near

Proportion of producers' original goods is shrinking at a rapid pace on growing share of store brands, says Skaidrīte Ābrama, senior economist at the Competition Council, stressing they forecast retailers will keep focusing on this.

Expert: construction survives on public, municipal and European projects

Latvian construction sector was able to survive only thanks to public, municipal and European projects, says Ainārs Pauniņš, Latvian Council for Sustainable Construction head and construction company Re&Re Board Chairman.

Finance Ministry: nearly half of shadow economy combat measures implemented

Until April 15, this year, 27 measures have been already implemented of the 60 measures included in the shadow economy combat and fair competition provision plan for the period 2010 – 2013, informs the Finance Ministry.

Latvian new car market soars 131.7%

While in March the European Union reported a drop of 0.5% in the number of registered new cars, compared to the previous March, in the Baltic States this indicator is growing. The biggest increase has been observed in Latvia – 131.7%. In Lithuania the rise in the registered new vehicles comprises 118.8%, in Estonia – 86.9%.

Funding cuts to push public media in bankruptcy

Reducing public media funding would be a wrong decision, as it would not solve the problem, but only worsen the level of public awareness, considers Ābrams Kleckins, Chairman of the National Council for Electronic Media.

Latvians working abroad might not pay income tax gap after all

Latvia Finance Ministry's tax amendments proposal to be passed over to the Saeima provides those working within the borders of the European Union will not have to pay the individual income tax gap.

Bookmakers: Latvia to introduce euro in 2014

Bookmakers approve of Latvia’s chances of introducing the euro in 2014 , giving about 70% odds with a stake coefficient 1.30. Accordingly, the probability of a negative outcome is evaluated with 30% or stake coefficient of 3.20.

Only self-extinguishing cigarettes to be sold in Europe from mid-November

Starting from November 17, 2011, it will be possible to sell only self-extinguishing cigarettes in Europe. Although the production of such cigarettes is more costly, the new provisions will not affect the price of cigarettes, importers point out.

Ex-Prime Minister: political parties fight for power, not long-term growth

The state is not considering long-term growth, which can push it into huge problems, says Aigars Kalvītis, the former Prime Minister of Latvia.

Around 1 500 public benefit organizations founded in Latvia

Until January 1, 2011, the public benefit organization status was effective for 1 485 organizations in Latvia, while in the first three months of 2011, public benefit organization status was granted to 47 organizations.

Newest comments