Ambassador of Estonia to the United States has noted that her experience after 2007 cyber attacks indicates – European Union sanctions against Russia work because travel to Europe is important for Russians.
In her speech at a discussion on Ukraine on March 12, Kaljurand recalled that the EU visa ban enforced after cyber attacks on Estonian sites in 2007 actually worked, ETV and ERR report.
Kaljurand explained Russians want to visit Estonia and educate their children in Europe, and this is why such measures are of importance.
- Banks briefed on sanctions' asset freeze
- Estonian new coalition agrees to increase child benefits
- EU and U.S. impose sanctions on Russian and Crimean officials
- Sanctions against Russia could cost hundreds of millions to Latvia, PM says
- U.S. adds to diplomatic pressure on Russia
- Lithuania also concerned over Kremlin-controlled media
- U.S. President to «stand with Ukraine» in conflict over Crimea
- Crimea: Simferopol airport seized by troops; only flights to Moscow allowed
- Crimean parliament passes «declaration of independence» on establishement sovereign Republic of Crimea
International credit rating agency Standard & Poor’s affirms Latvia’s rating at A- level with a stable future outlook, reports the State Treasury.
The anti-missile system to be built in Poland by the U.S. would not be a threat to the security of Russia, stated Polish Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski on May 29.
To secure functionality of the Data State Inspectorate, the government had allocated an additional amount of EUR 314,330 last year. However, the State Audit has failed to conclude that this amount was necessary and that it was effectively used to complete goals.
Since 2011, Latvia’s Justice Ministry has been managed by ministers from the National Alliance. Although the party denies that its politicians have been lobbying interests of insolvency administrators, it was not possible to reform the justice sector over the course of the years.
The UN Refugee Agency has stated that up to 700 hundred people could have drowned on the migration route from North Africa to Italy as several crowded migrant boats sank last week.
The Lithuanian and Algerian authorities are finalizing veterinary certificates for Lithuanian meat product exports to the North African country.
This week, Latvian Foreign Affairs Ministry held a discussion for experts dedicated to the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership between the EU and USA.
Ministries are requesting at least EUR 400 million in the next year’s budget, but it is clear that it will not be possible to satisfy all requests, said Finance Minister Dana Reizniece-Ozola.
Moscow has decided to extend the embargo established on imports of agricultural products from EU member states and other western countries until the end of 2017, as announced Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
May in Latvia will conclude with warm weather. Hot days are also expected. At the beginning of June, however, colder masses of air will enter Latvia again for a few days.
Compared to March 2016, the level of construction costs in Latvia reduced by 0.7 % in April 2016. Prices of building materials decreased by 1.6 %, while labour remuneration of workers increased by 0.6 % and maintenance and operational costs of machinery and equipment – by 0.1 %.
At the beginning of 2016 in Latvia there were 1 million 969 thousand residents. In 2015, population number reduced by 0.86 % or 17.1 thousand persons, while in 2014 population number declined by 0.77% or 15.4 thousand.
With weather gradually becoming warmer in Latvia, Riga municipal police receives more and more calls from the Video Surveillance Centre about suspicious people deciding to strip on the streets of Old Riga.
The European Commission has to create a taskforce to combat the use of virtual currency, like Bitcoin, to launder illegally acquired funds and finance terrorism, noted the European Parliament in its resolution approved on Thursday, 26 May.
The total revenue of JSC “Latvian Shipping Company” and its subsidiaries in Q1 of 2016 was USD 25.16 million, reaching an improved and stable net voyage result of USD 22.80 million in this period.
The joint Baltic company RB Rail has selected five legal forms that will be providing services during the design and construction of Rail Baltic/Rail Baltica railway line.
The leaders of the G7 countries have in a summit in Japan agreed to push for the Paris climate agreement to enter into force in 2016, but sanctions against Russian officials and businesspeople should continue until Minsk agreements are fulfilled.
In their Thursday’s approved resolution, members of the European Parliament requested giving consumers more influence over the energy market. They propose stimulating collective procurements, energy generation in households, price equalization opportunities and make the process for changing energy suppliers or tariffs less complicated.
Ventspils nafta terminals, one of the largest taxpayers in Ventspils and the largest contributor to the cargo turnover in the Ventspils Freeport, is in the process of investing EUR 5 million into the installation of a permanent vapour recovery unit in the port of Ventspils. It was planned to complete the project by November 2017, however, bureaucratic obstacles imposed by local authority Ventspils and Ventspils Freeport Authority are affecting a speedy and efficient execution of this project.
Director General of the State Revenue Service Inara Petersone does not plan to resign from her post in the near future. Petersone informed Finance Minister Dana Reizniece-Ozola of her intention to remain at SRS during a previously unplanned meeting on 26 May.
With the British referendum on the UK leaving the European Union, official statistics show that in 2015, 330 000 more people have moved to the country than left it.
- Tartu Deputy Mayor detained over corruption suspicion in Estonia
- Estonia considers dropping county administrations
- Rõivas: NATO decisions in Warsaw should be permanent steps
- Immigration to Estonia exceeds emigration for first time since renewed independence
- Third top employee of Estonian state port administrating firm detained on suspicion of bribery
- Estonian average monthly income exceed 1,000 euros for first time
- Estonia to chair Council of Europe
- Asylum seekers in Estonia appeal in court against denial of refugee status | 1
- China allows Estonian dairy products to enter its market
- Gazprom sells its stake at Eesti Gaas
Top 5 Business news
- Aseradens: there will definitely be losses from KVV Liepājas metalurgs
- TOP 10 of Latvia’s most successful businesswomen
- Latvia positions itself as active member of Eurasian supply network at Astana Forum
- Silvanols creates a unique slimming product line
- Ministry: Russia does not oppose Latvia’s and China’s cooperation in transport field
Top 5 Social news
Top 5 World news
Top 5 Video
Linda @ 2016-05-27 01:09:04
Linda @ 2016-05-27 01:07:13
jj @ 2016-05-25 18:43:36
Although I live in Latvia, I don't know Latvian well enough to fully understand Latvian politics. However I do understand enough to know that what you write about Lembergs (and Aboltina and Slesers) is very true. What I don't understand is why the population allow this to continue and why so many still seem to support these people!
Ilmars @ 2016-05-24 14:36:28
Aboltina has been in bed with Lemsbergs for years. The way that she coerced her Unity party colleagues to vote for Lemsbergs UGF party was a national disgrace. This explains why Lemsbergs UGF has the presidentcy and the prime ministership when UGF only got 20% of the vote. And its no surprise that another crook, Slesers, wasn't far away. Latvian politics is rotten to the core.
Latvia @ 2016-05-22 10:41:00