Latviski English По-русски
Sunday 18.03.2018 | Name days: Ilona, Adelīna

Famous Lithuanian film director suffers backlash amid sexual misconduct accusations

(No Ratings Yet)

Baltic news, News from Latvia, BNN.LV, BNN-NEWS.COM, BNN-NEWS.RU

Lithuanian cinema director Šarūnas Bartas

Linas Jegelevičius for the BNN

Although the list of powerful Lithuanian men accused of sexual misconduct is nowhere to match the similar compilation in the United States, where many women have busted an army of entertainment industry big-names, politicians and other public life celebs, however, the wave of woman revelations of men’s unwanted sexual advancement has reached Lithuania, too.

In fact, some cases of the kind in Lithuania go back a year or so, when the Western world has not yet embarked on the outing of salacious skirt-chasers.

«Indeed, I believe that the Lithuanian women’s coming forward and speaking out of inappropriate sexual conduct against them will not be single cases of the sort in Lithuania. I think the trend (of women speaking out of cases of sexual harassment) is clearly shaping up and that is a good thing,» Vilija Žukauskaitė, director of Kaunas women association, told BNN.

At the cusp of sexual scandals in Lithuania stands Šarūnas Bartas, a 53-year-old Lithuanian National Culture and Arts Prize laureate and a multiple winner of the Lithuanian film industry’s Sidabrinė Gervė (Silver Crane) awards. His films are presented in Cannes and other festivals.

Lithuanian actress Julija Steponaitytė and artist Paulė Bočulaitė publicly accused the award-winning film director of sexual misconduct.

Steponaitytė recounts a sexual assault experience in a studio after a casting session and Bočulaitė claims that she was sexually harassed by Bartas in his country mansion.

The former confessed on her Facebook personal account that she had been sexually assaulted by the film director five years earlier. She was 20 at that time.

In an interview released by the news, the actress said that the incident had occurred in a studio after a casting session.

«We stayed afterwards for drinks. After a few hours of talking when I was really drunk, he took my hands and started repeating a mantra that we were adults and that everything that was happening was good, as he felt I liked him, and that the feeling was mutual. He tried to talk me into this, at the same time touching my hands and trying to get closer. At one point, he undressed me, and from then on it is very difficult for me to talk,» she said.

Steponaitytė said that she had decided to speak out after seeing women share their sexual harassment or abuse experiences under the #MeToo hashtag on social media and hearing rumours about other girls having been abused by Bartas

The actress said that she would take the man to court upon her return to Lithuania.

Paulė Bočulaitė, an artist and stage designer, also claims that she was sexually harassed by Bartas some five years ago.

In an audio recording released on, the young woman recounts a sexual harassment incident she experienced while working as the art director on one of Bartas’ films in his country house in Molėtai. After having drinks, the film director allegedly began to harass her and threw things at her. The woman called police, who fined the man around 44 euros for petty hooliganism and seized his firearm.

Bartas repeatedly denied sexual misconduct accusations against him by the female artists.

«In my response to the society in connection to the accusations made against me on Facebook, I would like to state I disagree with the accusations,» Bartas said in a statement sent to BNS, a news agency.

The director said he respected his own privacy and that of other people, therefore, would not «defend or make any explanations on social networks or the media.»

In response to the reports, Vilnius Mayor Remigijus Šimašius of the Liberals said he would propose the municipal council to refuse Bartas’ studio a preferential lease of premises in central Vilnius.

Bartas said on Tuesday he would move out of the premises himself.

«In response to the public statement by the Vilnius mayor, I am stating that if you want to drive us out of the studio amid a scandal that has not been validated by any evidence, I have to say that we will not wait for the consequences and are as of this moment refusing cooperation with the Vilnius city municipality and will hand over the premises to the municipality by the end of the week,» said the director.

In the fallout of the scandal, organisers of the popular film festival Serseliafam have decided to exclude the movie featuring Bartas, the film director under the suspicion of sexual harassment, from the opening night.

The movie «I am Katya Golubeva» tells about Bartas’ late wife and features Bartas in some of the episodes.

Golubeva, who rose to stardom in France, died under mysterious circumstances in Paris back in 2011. After the loss, Vilnius director Natalija Ju decided to make a movie about her old friend.

Ju said she had written to the organizers of the festival asking to withdraw the movie from the festival amid the scandal.

Lithuanian culture Minister Liana Ruokytė-Jonsson has also voiced her support for women and men who come forward about sexual abuse as public accusations of sexual misconduct were made against the internationally-known film director.

«Our society has to applaud (them). We can’t tolerate such things, so I strongly support all women, as well as men, who dare to speak about this problem,» she told reporters.

When asked about the Culture Ministry’s further cooperation with Bartas, the minister said that she would first wait for law-enforcement bodies’ findings and for an explanation from the film director himself.

Rolandas Kvietkauskas, director of the Lithuanian Film Centre, believes that «there is too little information to make any judgments,» adding the Centre was waiting for Bartas’ explanation.

Many Lithuanian celebrities have come in support of the actresses who dared to speak publicly about the famous film director’s sexual escapades. However, Marijonas Mikutavičius, an A-tier Lithuanian entertainment industry star, has cast a doubt on the credibility of the actresses’ accounts, suggesting they told of what happened to them in a fashion «long time ago, one day with no one around…»

The majority disapproved of his stance, however.

Meanwhile, Erika Račkytė, another actress, sued her former boss, Linas Marijus Zaikauskas, director of Panevėzys Juozas Miltinis theatre, accusing him of sexual coercion.

The sexagenarian theatre head, who was sacked by the Culture Ministry in the wake of the scandal, denies any wrong-doing. The case is being heard behind the closed doors.

The actress has told Lithuanian media that Zaikauskas has repeatedly hinted that she can expect success in her career only of she has sexual intercourse after a newly launched performance. Otherwise, she would be forced to leave the theatre. The gal did not give in to the coercion and turned her boss to law enforcement.

This week, the Lithuanian Constitutional Court on Monday has finished hearing the impeachment case of MP Kęstutis Pukas charged with sexual harassment and has a month to finish its conclusion whether the MP’s actions were in violation of the country’s Organic Law.

«The phase of judicial disputes is complete, the court heard Pukas and his lawyers, as well as the claimant’s lawyer, and the court has a month to draw a conclusion or any other ruling. (…) The one-month time period is set by the law, however, if the court manages to agree on the text and accept it faster, things can evolve faster,» Constitutional Court President Dainius Žalimas told journalists after the Monday’s hearing.

He refused to comment on the case, saying the meeting had been held behind closed doors.

Upon arrival at the hearing, Pukas restated the sexual harassment charges had been fabricated but did not state any defence arguments. After leaving the courtroom, he said his final speech stated that he had not violated the Constitution or the oath. He refrained from further comments.

The MP’s conduct is also subject to a pre-trial investigation. Prosecutors say that four women’s testimonies and information gathered as part of the pre-trial investigation provide reasonable grounds to suspect that Pukas between January and February 2017 sexually harassed persons subordinate to him.

Ref: 020/

Leave a reply

Week in Lithuania. Some 5,000 gather in protest rally outside Lithuania's Parliament

Some 5,000 people gathered outside the Lithuanian parliament in Vilnius on Thursday, March 15, to express discontent with the failed parliamentary vote to impeach MP Mindaugas Bastys and the performance of the ruling Lithuanian Farmers and Greens Union.

BNN summary of the week: oligarch talks’ ownership; scandals in Lithuania; Estonia wants direct democracy

BNN offers a summary of this week’s topical news in a variety of categories: Progress; Scandals; Invitation; Fight; Opinion; Decline.

Remembrance day of Latvian Legionnaires passes with shouts and two arrests

The Legionnaires’ remembrance procession in Riga on Friday, 16 March, passed peacefully. Nevertheless, several conflicts did take place among differently-minded people near the Freedom Monument. Two individuals were arrested by police.

Influenza intensity in Latvia – moderate when compared to other European nations

A comparison of influenza activity in Europe shows that it is high or very high in several countries. Latvia’s influenza intensity is considered moderate, as noted by epidemiologist Raina Nikiforova.

Hourly labour costs in Latvia grew 7.3% in 2017

Compared to Q4 2016, in Q4 2017 hourly labour costs rose by 54 cents or 7.3 %, reaching EUR 8.02. Seasonally adjusted data show identical changes – rise of 7.3 %.

Rietumu Banka claims it has not worked with high-risk clients for years

Rietumu Banka has been steadily rejecting high-risk clients for years and has significantly reduced the volume of transactions, as mentioned by the bank’s representatives.

Lithuanian and Estonian businessmen are ahead of Latvia in terms of investments

In Latvia, 36% of small and medium-sized companies have plans to invest in the development of their business this year. In Estonia and Lithuania, on the other hand, the proportion of businesses with development plans is 42% and 46%, respectively, according to results of a recent study performed by SEB Bank.

Russia pledges maximum pressure on UK amid ex-spy poisoning row

Russian top diplomat in the UK has envisaged on Friday, March 16, that the Kremlin would use maximum pressure on London as Moscow insists it has not been involved in the poisoning of a former Russian-British double agent with a Russian-made chemical weapon, as has been found by British investigators.

Latvia’s ministry: Crimea’s annexation is illegal

18 March 2018 will mark four years since the Russian Federation violated Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity by annexing the Crimean Peninsula and causing military aggression in the country’s eastern region. With its actions the Russian Federation has violated international law and basic principles of international relation, says Latvia’s Foreign Affairs Ministry.

Building gas pipe to Finland, Estonia to organise works for EUR 135 million

Continuing the works on the Balticconnector gas pipeline between Estonia and Finland, the Estonian natural gas network company Elering has stated that around 135 million euros, including a 98-million-euro funding from the European Union, will be invested in the project.

Replacement of cash registers rejected by SRS would cost half a million euros

The State Revenue Service has declined 18,000 cash registers as unfitting for requirements established by the Cabinet of Ministers. Fixing the problems found in them would cost half a million euros, as reported by LNT News.

Latvian Anti-Nazi Committee presented with protest restrictions on 16 March

Administrative District Court has compiled a shortened ruling, in which it rejected Latvian Anti-Nazi Committee’s application and preserved the decision imposed by Riga City acting CEO on 13 March 2018 on establishing restrictions on the planned gathering and protest act for 16 March unchanged.

U.S. introduces Russian sanctions for election meddling and cyber-attacks

Washington has introduced sanctions against 19 Russian individuals and five entities blaming them for attempts to sway the 2016 U.S. election and perceived cyber-attacks.

Slovakian PM Fico replaced with fellow party member

Slovakian head of government Robert Fico has stepped down after the murder of a journalist shed light on corruption in Slovakia, prompting nationwide protests. The long-standing Prime Minister had offered to resign earlier this week if the ruling coalition was allowed to finish its term.

Weekends will be cold and sunny in Latvia; next week will have volatile weather

Starting with Sunday, 18 March, air temperature in Latvia will rise above zero in most of the country, as reported by State Environment, Geology and Meteorology Centre.

Lithuania’s ruling LFGU party remains unscathed by scandals

It seems that, for now, Lithuania‘s ruling Farmers and Green Union has been nearly damage-proof despite the lambasting.

Latvian Civic Alliance: non-government sector should aim towards cooperation

Latvian Civic Alliance has invited the management of Latvia’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry to meet to discuss ongoing cooperation between organizations representing the business sector and the NGO sector.

Saeima rejects National Alliance’s proposal to make 16 March an official remembrance day

Latvia’s Saeima has decided to reject the proposal submitted by the National Alliance on making 16 March an official remembrance day.

43.6% of Latvian households have difficulties with making ends meet

In 2017 the share of households admitting that pay for usual necessary expenses with difficulty or great difficulty constituted 43.6 %, which is 1.5 percentage points more than in 2016.

Saeima voices support for Rail Baltica project’s progression

On Thursday, 15 March, the Saeima made a decision to support Rail Baltica project’s progression. In its decision, the parliament invited Latvia’s Cabinet of Ministers to provide all the necessary support for the project’s successful realization to ensure the project is realized in accordance with established terms and does not lose funding or support from the European Union, as reported by Saeima’s press-service.

Fast snow shovelling linked to cardiac fatalities, Finnish study finds

In Finish doctoral study, it has been concluded that snow should be shovelled calmly, not provoking stress and increased adrenaline in human blood that could lead to cardiac arrest.

Riga’s mayor spent at least eight million euros of residents’ money to promote himself

Over the course of the past three years, at least EUR 8 million of residents’ money has been used to promote the image of the Mayor of Riga Nils Ušakovs. This money was used to buy media, employ young members of Harmony, and finance ‘in-house protestors’ and using social networks, as estimated by Re:Baltica research journalism center.

Slovenia's head of government resigns amid protests and struggling railway investment

The Slovenian head of government Miro Cerar has stepped down from office in reaction to troubles with an expensive railway project and mounting opposition by trade unions.

NAF Commander: Latvia and Estonia have joint military procurements planned

Latvia and Estonia have joint military procurements planned, Commander of Latvia’s National Armed Forces Leonīds Kalniņš told journalists after his meeting with Commander of Estonia’s Defence Forces Riho Terras.

Estonia's switch to free higher education proved right choice, says Ratas

The switch to free higher education made by Estonia in 2013 has proved to be the right choice for a small country, even though critics have pointed to potentially less motivated students, has stated the Estonian Prime Minister Jüri Ratas.

Newest comments