Expressing her protest against the situation with the new Board of Latvia’s National Opera, famous opera singer Kristīne Opolais cancels her performances at the concerts organized for the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the opera building September 5 and 6.
“News about the new Board is shocking. I have cancelled my participation in the jubilee concerts of the opera building. I do not want to return to the opera that was once a second home to me and closest family. This was largely thanks to the efforts of Andrejs Žagars. If there are any suspicions that there are some illegal activities involved in the formation of the new Board, they should not be ignored.”
Latvia’s National Opera respects the singer’s decision and makes it known that residents who do not wish to go the jubilee concert without seeing Kristīnes Opolais there can return their tickets an receive a full refund.
Residents can contact Biļešu paradīzi ticket service via e-mail email@example.com.
As BNN had previously reported, a massive opera scandal shook the public at the end of this summer: some praise and others criticize the long-standing head of Latvia’s National Opera Andrejs Žagars.
The most active person to criticize him is Latvia’s Culture Minister Žanete Jaunzeme-Grende, the same minister who had experienced countless failures in her post.
Since becoming the minister, Žanete Jaunzeme-Grende managed to surprise society with many acts: including asking the famous Russian director Konstantin Staniskavky the question as to where he was taught the so-called Stanislavsky’s acting system and attracting the attention of the Corruption Prevention and Combating Bureau in regard to the expenses of her working visits.
She believes that after the scandalous press-conferences and asking officials to defend him, Andrejs Žagars seems incompetent to take office in the Board of Latvia’s National Opera.
The minister said in an interview to Rīta Panorāma: “He is too busy developing his own public image, not that of the opera. He is also busy spending funds, not saving them. 17 years have passed and now is the time for change.”
Žagars says he is baffled by the results of the LNO Board member selection contest’s results. He says there are seven professionals working in the commission. These people selected three candidates. Žagars was among those candidates.
He worried the most about the 2014 programme for the opera and how the new Board will tackle it.
2014, when Riga will be the cultural capital of Europe, will be an important period not just for Riga but for the whole of Latvia as well. LNO Director is convinced – it will be long before Latvia will be able to receive such a high title again, Diena writes.
“I fear that disrespecting the work of seven people, a whole month of hard work, this decision will not be respected as well. This could result in there being people in the Board who do not have any grasp or experience of working in an opera. This could prove to be a threat to the 2014 programme. I am also deeply worried that something that took so long to build and perfect could collapse so easily,” – says the Director of LNO.