bnn.lv Latviski   bnn-news.com English   bnn-news.ru По-русски
Friday 18.08.2017 | Name days: Liene, Helēna, Elena, Ellena, Liena
LatviaLatvia

Latvian lullaby recognized as one of the most beautiful in the world

FaceBook
Twitter
Draugiem
(+31 rating, 31 votes)

Baltic news, News from Latvia, BNN.LV, BNN-NEWS.COM, BNN-NEWS.RULatvian lullaby “Aijā, žūžū” has been included into a compilation disc of the world’s most beautiful lullabies and music book “Lullabies of the world”.

Singers and musicians from all over the world have recorded the most popular lullabies of their countries in an exclusive collection “Lullabies of the World”. Music for the songs was played with authentic national musical instruments of different countries. The compilation includes lullabies from Armenia, Belgium, Germany, China, Finland, France, Greece, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Lebanon, New Zealand, North America, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Spain, South Africa, Czech Republic, Turkish, Hungary and Latvia.

Latvia’s favourite lullaby was included thank to Berlin-based Latvian singer Diana Moon Cerne, who convinced German producers to include “Aijā, žūžū” in “Lullabies of the World” collection.

“Latvia is a small country, but we have very beautiful music and talented people. I wish we showed our work more actively to others without fear of being judged. I wish we were more proud of our rich national heritage,” – she said.

Ref: 103.109.109.9235

1. SandraOsis says:

Countless Latvian babies, including I, my children and grandchildren went off to dream land with this song.

2. Vivian Sterste says:

How wonderful! Of course this is! I always knew it in my heart. My grandmother, mother and father would sing this to me and I to my children. How nice it would be if I could find a link on this article where I could hear it. Could you add that, please?

3. Anonymous says:

Try to google it, or to find in youtube.com :)

4. Zane says:

There is amazing website http://www.pasakas.net where you can find a lot of Latvian lullabies, animations etc.

5. Anonymous says:

Indeed a wonderful melody! Incredibly connects!!

6. Morra says:

Simply and very peaceful melody.

7. Liene says:

Where is this compilation available? The only “Lullabies of the World” that seems to surface in a search is the Russian animated project…

8. Anonymous says:

Latvija has some of the most beautiful songs and singers in the world.

9. biruta apins steinblums /webb/// says:

that is so great /since I am from Latvia.

10. Zaiga says:

When I worked as a nanny in UK I noticed that this song calmed down children (and me?) best.

11. Arija Pilskalns says:

A gentle, soothing lullaby with a beautiful, nature centred story-line that all our family, from my mother to my grandchildren, drifted into sleep with.

12. Ilze Richters Pelkaus says:

Congratulations to Diana Moon Cerne……..”cik jauki” Thank you from all
    of us……

13. LauraZaigaGaldina-Born says:

Briniskigi! Fantastic!

14. Erika says:

I sing Aija zuz to my son every night when putting him to bed. My mother started this tradition with me when I was a little girl.

15. JPR says:

Latvia should take care of her heritage and expel foreign elements!

16. Anita Herman says:

Yes the Latvian lullaby is very effective and really does make you sleepy!

17. ian stowe says:

very nice but would have liked to hear it

18. Maris says:

Here it is – youtu.be/RuaFHHo3noo

19. Anonymous says:

My dad sang this to my brother and I when we were babes, i remember it well so soothing

20. Lija says:

I grew up with this song Aijā Žūžū and I sing to my kids now!

21. Uldis says:

Thank You Diana Moon Cerne!

22. dool says:

No Niggers

23. madara says:

I sing this song to my son every night. ;)

24. Erika says:

I remember my mom singing this to me as a child and now I sing this every night to my kids.

25. Vija says:

My Mom sang this to me and I have always loved it!!

26. Astrid says:

I’m a first generation Latvian-American. Both my parents immigrated from Latvia back in the late 40’s. Unfortunately both of my parents have passed but I still remember my mother singing Aija, zuzu to me. They are correct; it IS a beautiful lullaby! I’m so happy Latvia is starting to get recognition for all of their wonderful heritage!

27. Hugo says:

I had been a singer for more than 30 years and I thought I had heard pretty much everything. And then I landed in Latvia to do a gig and in return people sang for us. It hit me right in the pit of my stomach, one incredibly beautiful song after an other. And everybody knew them and sang along in improvised harmony. I ended up in tears and I wasn’t even drunk…

28. Dianne says:

My mother escaped Latvia as a 16 year old, when the Russians came across the border. She immigrated to Canada and I was born when she was 26 years old. She sang this song to me and it was the first song I ever learned. I can still sing it. When I recently reunited with my lost cousins in Latvia I asked about the song. They had me sing it. We were all weeping at the end of it. They told me it was a popular lullabye. My mom left us many years ago.

29. Roksija says:

This buatafful lullaby was sung by our mother to all of children as long as I can remember!

30. Kate Bradshaw Tauvon says:

I would love to hear this. Latvian music and dance is beautiful!

31. kbomis64 says:

My parents were born in Latvia and I had more great aunts sing this to me with there less than beautiful voices but I am being blessed with a great nephew this overnight and can’t wait to sing it to him to make sure he goes to sleep but also gets an early taste of the language and culture he came from.

32. karlbomis64 says:

love this lullaby and can’t wait to sing it to my great nephew who should arrive this morning

33. Cindy Veidemane says:

Yes, beautiful. My Latvian father sang it to me a dn then to my children. I now sing it to my first granddaughter. It is very special

Prediction: Aseradens will likely take control over Unity

Economy Minister Arvils Aseradens will become the head of Unity, Betsafe bookmakers predict. The possibility of Aseradens becoming the head of the party is given 45% probability by Betsafe.

Provisional estimate for next year’s fiscal space in Latvia is EUR 60 million

Next year’s fiscal space has been estimated at EUR 60 million, as noted by Finance Minister Dana Reizniece-Ozola, adding that a more precise estimate will be available at the end of August.

Reconstruction of Vilnius airport runway concludes; aircraft return to Vilnius

On Thursday, 17 August, Vilnius airport’s runway was festively opened. This was the most massive reconstruction for the airport in the past 20 years. It was a unique project for Lithuania and all of Europe, airport representatives say.

Islamic State terrorist group takes responsibility for Barcelona attack

The recent terrorist attack in Barcelona, in which a shuttle bus rammed a crowd of people on La Rambla, killing 13 and injuring at least 100, has become this week’s topic.

Weather in Latvia to be warm but rainy on weekends

The sun will appear every now and then between clouds on Friday, 18 August. Still, some rain is expected, especially in the afternoon in Latvia’s eastern regions, where thunderstorms may appear. Rain is expected to reach the capital in the afternoon. Wind will draw in from the south. Air temperature will reach +21° C… +26° C, according to State Environment, Geology and Meteorology Centre.

Latvia’s export growth was moderately rapid in the first six months of 2017

Compared with the same period of 2016, Latvia experienced a moderately rapid export growth in the first six months of 2017, according to data published by Eurostat on Thursday, 17 August.

Latvia’s annual inflation in July was one of the highest in Europe

Inflation indexes in Latvia and the UK both reached 2.6% in July, which is one of the highest indexes in the European Union, according to data published by Eurostat on Thursday, 17 August.

Kirsis withdraws his candidacy in favour of Aseradens

Riga City Council member Vilnis Kirsis has decided to withdraw his candidacy from the race to become chairman of Unity in favour of a different candidate – Economy Minister Arvils Aseradens.

Rinkevics expresses Latvia’s interest in maintaining political consultations with Palestine

On Thursday, 17 August, Latvia’s Foreign Affairs Minister Edgars Rinkevics met with the leader of Palestine’s diplomatic mission in Latvia, ambassador Taissir Al Adjouri, to discuss mutual relations between Latvia and Palestine and the peace process in the Middle East.

Putin grins to the world’s seven billionth baby, Lithuania wary of border incidents

Russian President Vladimir Putin paid a visit this Wednesday to Kaliningrad, the westernmost point of Russia, but the reports about his trip in the Russian enclave and over the border in Lithuania were strikingly different.

Survey: red considered the safest colour for a car

Most Latvian drivers consider red to be the safest colour for a car. The most popular, however, is black, according to results of a survey by Virši-A fuel trader.

airBaltic’s number of carried passengers reaches a record in second consecutive month

Latvian airBaltic airline carried 393,312 passengers in July 2017, which is 21% more than the same period last year. The number of passengers carried by airBaltic remains the highest it has ever been in the airline’s history, BNN was informed by the company.

Brivais vilnis: nearly all fish processing companies are experiencing losses

Currently nearly all fish processing companies in Latvia are experiencing major or minor losses, says Brivais vilnis chairman Arnols Babris.

American helicopters to perform low-altitude flights within Latvia’s airspace

U.S. Air Force Brigade’s Task Force Phoenix helicopters, which are stationed in Latvia as part of Atlantic Resolve operation, will be performing low-altitude flights from 16:00 to 18:00 from Lielvarde to Dobele on Friday, 18 August.

Healthcare Ministry’s state secretary Karlis Ketners may be replaced

Latvian Healthcare Ministry may replace its state secretary Karlis Ketners. It is possible he will be transferred to work at Finance Ministry, as reported by LTV.

Suspects in Europe's insecticide egg scandal before Dutch court

In the Netherlands, two men have been in court in relation to the scandal of eggs containing banned insecticide that has caused an EU-wide health scare and cost millions of euros of damages.

Indian national with fake documents apprehended on Latvian border

An Indian citizen travelling from Moscow on a bus was caught at Terehovo border control point in Latvia for presenting officers a fake EU family member’s resident card. No criminal process was launched. The person returned to the country he was travelling from.

Latvijas dzelzceļš will not have to pay dividends from last year’s profits

The government decided on Wednesday, 16 August, that Latvijas dzelzceļš will not have to pay dividends from last year’s profits, which were EUR 880,998.

Latvian citizenship provided to 103 people

The Cabinet of Ministers has issued an order to provide Latvian citizenship to 103 people through naturalization.

Estonian Inbank's profits reach EUR 5.7 million in six months

Estonian financial services' provided Inbank made a profit of 5.7 million euros in the first half of 2017, which is a 429.4% increase compared to the respective period in 2016.

Agriculture Ministry invites residents to sign up for measures to support fisheries

From 21 August onward, Rural Support Service plans to start accepting applications for projects to receive support from European Maritime and Fisheries Fund’s action plan for development of fisheries in 2014-2020 as part of projects Innovation, Productive Investments in Aquaculture and Fishing and Aquaculture project processing.

Estonia seeks to improve reputation of state as employer

As the Estonian Ministry of Finance wishes to boost the reputation and brand of the Baltic country's public sector, it has announced a procurement tender aimed at preparing an action plan for reaching these goals.

Warning: there may be short-term problems with Swedbank internet banking functionality

Because of Swedbank’s planned IT modernization work scheduled for the night to Thursday, 17 August, there may be short term problems with payment card and internet banking functionality, the bank warns.

Aseradens: neither Usakovs nor Lembergs should be allowed to become prime minister

If he became chairman of Unity, Economy Minister Arvils Aseradens would mobilize democratic forces to prevent the possibility of either Aivars Lembergs or Nils Usakovs becoming prime ministers, Aseradens said in an interview to 900 seconds programme of LNT.

Caksa believes increasing wages for doctors would improve politicians’ credibility

The planned wage increase in healthcare could be the first step towards improving politicians’ credibility, says Healthcare Minister Anda Caksa.