bnn.lv Latviski   bnn-news.com English   bnn-news.ru По-русски
Friday 20.10.2017 | Name days: Leonīda, Leonīds
LatviaLatvia

Latvian lullaby recognized as one of the most beautiful in the world

FaceBook
Twitter
Draugiem
(+31 rating, 31 votes)

Baltic news, News from Latvia, BNN.LV, BNN-NEWS.COM, BNN-NEWS.RULatvian lullaby “Aijā, žūžū” has been included into a compilation disc of the world’s most beautiful lullabies and music book “Lullabies of the world”.

Singers and musicians from all over the world have recorded the most popular lullabies of their countries in an exclusive collection “Lullabies of the World”. Music for the songs was played with authentic national musical instruments of different countries. The compilation includes lullabies from Armenia, Belgium, Germany, China, Finland, France, Greece, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Lebanon, New Zealand, North America, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Spain, South Africa, Czech Republic, Turkish, Hungary and Latvia.

Latvia’s favourite lullaby was included thank to Berlin-based Latvian singer Diana Moon Cerne, who convinced German producers to include “Aijā, žūžū” in “Lullabies of the World” collection.

“Latvia is a small country, but we have very beautiful music and talented people. I wish we showed our work more actively to others without fear of being judged. I wish we were more proud of our rich national heritage,” – she said.

Ref: 103.109.109.9235

1. SandraOsis says:

Countless Latvian babies, including I, my children and grandchildren went off to dream land with this song.

2. Vivian Sterste says:

How wonderful! Of course this is! I always knew it in my heart. My grandmother, mother and father would sing this to me and I to my children. How nice it would be if I could find a link on this article where I could hear it. Could you add that, please?

3. Anonymous says:

Try to google it, or to find in youtube.com :)

4. Zane says:

There is amazing website http://www.pasakas.net where you can find a lot of Latvian lullabies, animations etc.

5. Anonymous says:

Indeed a wonderful melody! Incredibly connects!!

6. Morra says:

Simply and very peaceful melody.

7. Liene says:

Where is this compilation available? The only “Lullabies of the World” that seems to surface in a search is the Russian animated project…

8. Anonymous says:

Latvija has some of the most beautiful songs and singers in the world.

9. biruta apins steinblums /webb/// says:

that is so great /since I am from Latvia.

10. Zaiga says:

When I worked as a nanny in UK I noticed that this song calmed down children (and me?) best.

11. Arija Pilskalns says:

A gentle, soothing lullaby with a beautiful, nature centred story-line that all our family, from my mother to my grandchildren, drifted into sleep with.

12. Ilze Richters Pelkaus says:

Congratulations to Diana Moon Cerne……..”cik jauki” Thank you from all
    of us……

13. LauraZaigaGaldina-Born says:

Briniskigi! Fantastic!

14. Erika says:

I sing Aija zuz to my son every night when putting him to bed. My mother started this tradition with me when I was a little girl.

15. JPR says:

Latvia should take care of her heritage and expel foreign elements!

16. Anita Herman says:

Yes the Latvian lullaby is very effective and really does make you sleepy!

17. ian stowe says:

very nice but would have liked to hear it

18. Maris says:

Here it is – youtu.be/RuaFHHo3noo

19. Anonymous says:

My dad sang this to my brother and I when we were babes, i remember it well so soothing

20. Lija says:

I grew up with this song Aijā Žūžū and I sing to my kids now!

21. Uldis says:

Thank You Diana Moon Cerne!

22. dool says:

No Niggers

23. madara says:

I sing this song to my son every night. ;)

24. Erika says:

I remember my mom singing this to me as a child and now I sing this every night to my kids.

25. Vija says:

My Mom sang this to me and I have always loved it!!

26. Astrid says:

I’m a first generation Latvian-American. Both my parents immigrated from Latvia back in the late 40’s. Unfortunately both of my parents have passed but I still remember my mother singing Aija, zuzu to me. They are correct; it IS a beautiful lullaby! I’m so happy Latvia is starting to get recognition for all of their wonderful heritage!

27. Hugo says:

I had been a singer for more than 30 years and I thought I had heard pretty much everything. And then I landed in Latvia to do a gig and in return people sang for us. It hit me right in the pit of my stomach, one incredibly beautiful song after an other. And everybody knew them and sang along in improvised harmony. I ended up in tears and I wasn’t even drunk…

28. Dianne says:

My mother escaped Latvia as a 16 year old, when the Russians came across the border. She immigrated to Canada and I was born when she was 26 years old. She sang this song to me and it was the first song I ever learned. I can still sing it. When I recently reunited with my lost cousins in Latvia I asked about the song. They had me sing it. We were all weeping at the end of it. They told me it was a popular lullabye. My mom left us many years ago.

29. Roksija says:

This buatafful lullaby was sung by our mother to all of children as long as I can remember!

30. Kate Bradshaw Tauvon says:

I would love to hear this. Latvian music and dance is beautiful!

31. kbomis64 says:

My parents were born in Latvia and I had more great aunts sing this to me with there less than beautiful voices but I am being blessed with a great nephew this overnight and can’t wait to sing it to him to make sure he goes to sleep but also gets an early taste of the language and culture he came from.

32. karlbomis64 says:

love this lullaby and can’t wait to sing it to my great nephew who should arrive this morning

33. Cindy Veidemane says:

Yes, beautiful. My Latvian father sang it to me a dn then to my children. I now sing it to my first granddaughter. It is very special

Prime Minister: Latvia cannot accept additional asylum seekers

Latvia cannot afford to resettle additional asylum seekers, said Prime Minister Māris Kučinskis during his meeting with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Thursday, 19 October.

Scandinavians purchase tourism company in Lithuania; changes expected in Latvia too

Dutch Otravo online travel organization has expanded and has purchased Lithuanian online travel agency Interno Partneris, thereby entering the Baltic market.

Ombudsman: non-citizen status matter should be resolved in next decade

The next ten years may be the transition period to ‘put an end’ to the non-citizen status in Latvia, said ombudsman Juris Jansons in an interview to LTV programme Rīta panorama.

Swedish Foreign Minister: harassment exists at highest political level

The Foreign Affairs Minister of Sweden, Margot Wallström, has commended the current sexual assault and harassment awareness campaign in social media and urged to fellow politicians to address the problem.

Latvenergo recognized as Latvia’s most valuable company for tenth time

Latvenergo has been recognized as Latvia’s most valuable company in 2017. Its value grew 34% in comparison with 2016, according to the TOP 101 list of Latvia’s most valuable companies compiled by Prudentia and Nasdaq Riga.

Number of births and number of deaths decline in Latvia

During the first nine months of this year 15,723 babies were born in Latvia, which is 1,113 children fewer than in the corresponding period of the last year.

CC applies binding conditions for the sale of MTG Broadcasting AB

Latvian Competition Council has decided to permit Bite Lietuva to purchase MTG Broadcasting AB group’s businesses in Latvia. CC has applied several binding conditions to prevent a possible impact on competition on the television services and advertisement market.

Eesti Energia warns: Limiting CO2 emissions on capacity could endanger energy supply

Estonian energy giant Eesti Energia has evaluated that a plan under discussion in the European Union to introduce a carbon dioxide release limit for capacity mechanisms to qualify for subsidies could adversely affect the security of supply in Estonia and the Baltic states.

Solidarity tax norm recognized as non-compliant with Latvia’s Constitution

On Thursday, 19 October, the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Latvia declared the Solidarity tax norm as non-compliant with the country’s Constitution.

Survey: Riga residents go to the doctor’s the most often

34% of residents undergo regular health checks, according to Mana Aptieka & Apotheka health index. In addition, women are twice as serious about health checks as men.

LG cozies up with idea of rebuilding railway tracks to Reņģe, Latvia

Lithuania‘s Lietuvos Geležinkeliai has sent a mixed message as to what it intends to do next following an EC fine of nearly 28 million against it over the dismantling a 19-km railway stretch with the Latvian village of Rengė.

Čigāne: European Union’s social pillar is very important to Latvia

On Wednesday, 18 October, Saeima’s European Affairs Committee approved Latvia’s national position on the introduction of EU Pillar of Social Rights.

40% of all car problems are relate to lighting, battery and security systems

It has been determined that 41% of all car problems are related to lighting devices, 39% of problems are related to malfunctioning batteries, and 44% of problems are related to security systems.

Xi Jinping: Chinese socialism has entered new era

China's ruling Communist Party's five-year congress has been opened with the country's President Xi Jinping outlining a general plan for the future development of China.

Public transport in Latvia procurement may be at risk

Considering that continued and unhindered provision of public transport services on ten routes may become at risk from 1 January 2018 onward, Public Transport Council made a decision to ask the Road Directorate to sign a new contract to ensure services are available in multiple Latvian cities, as confirmed by Road Directorate.

Iraqi forces retake disputed territories from Kurdish forces

Three weeks after the Iraqi Kurdistan independence referendum, forces of the Iraqi central government have taken control of the territories in the country, which had been seized by Kurdish fighters after victories over the terrorist group «Islamic State».

Sale of MTG’s business in Baltics to Providence concludes successfully

Wednesday, 18 October, marked the successful conclusion of the sale of Baltic assets owned by Swedish media concern Modern Times Group to Providence Equity Partners. From now on companies previously owned by MTG in Baltics will function as a single organization named All Media Baltics, as confirmed by the company’s manager Pierre Danon.

Estonian port company makes 29% more revenue in January-September

Estonian state port company Port of Tallinn has made the revenue in the amount of 99.1 million euros in the first nine months of 2017, which is a 29% increase compared to January-September in 2016.

42 gambling halls to be closed down in Riga in next five years

On Wednesday, 18 October, Riga City Council supported plans to close another 33 gambling halls in the city. With that, a total of 42 gambling halls will be liquidated in the next five year.

Latvia has the highest index of female CEOs among EU member states

The highest index of female CEOs among European Union member states belongs to Latvia – 47%. In total, only 33% of CEOs in EU were female last year, according to data from the Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia.

Survey: more and more people take notice of benefits provided by EU membership

65% of Latvian residents believe the country’s membership in the European Union has brought tangible benefits. A similar opinion was voiced by 64% of residents of all EU member states in the Eurobarometer study performed by the European Parliament.

17 persons in need of international aid are relocated to Latvia from Turkey

On Tuesday, 17 October, seventeen individuals, including nine children, in need of international protection were relocated to Latvia from Turkey as part of EU resettlement programme, as confirmed by Latvian Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.

BATL: to avoid crisis in transit sector, government and Transport Ministry must act

Latvian Prime Minister Māris Kučinskis’ led Latvian Ports, Transit and Logistics Council also supports Saeima’s National Economy Committee’s decision on the need for Transport Ministry to develop a long-term vision for the development of the country’s transit industry.

Psychologist: six-year-old children are not ready for school

«It is wrong to believe that the sooner a child starts going to school, the better their academic results will be. Reforms are performed aggressively, without asking pedagogues or other specialists for their opinion. We lack a comprehensive analysis of the current situation that would be based on studies, not international ratings,» says certified clinical psychologist and psychotherapist Jolanta Lamstere.

Klaipeda transport ticketing system to be installed by Estonian Ridango

In the Lithuanian port city of Klaipeda, Estonian firm Ridango has been selected for installing its technology on public transport.