bnn.lv Latviski   bnn-news.com English   bnn-news.ru По-русски
Saturday 23.06.2018 | Name days: Līga
LatviaLatvia

Latvian lullaby recognized as one of the most beautiful in the world

FaceBook
Twitter
Draugiem
(+31 rating, 31 votes)

Baltic news, News from Latvia, BNN.LV, BNN-NEWS.COM, BNN-NEWS.RULatvian lullaby “Aijā, žūžū” has been included into a compilation disc of the world’s most beautiful lullabies and music book “Lullabies of the world”.

Singers and musicians from all over the world have recorded the most popular lullabies of their countries in an exclusive collection “Lullabies of the World”. Music for the songs was played with authentic national musical instruments of different countries. The compilation includes lullabies from Armenia, Belgium, Germany, China, Finland, France, Greece, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Lebanon, New Zealand, North America, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Spain, South Africa, Czech Republic, Turkish, Hungary and Latvia.

Latvia’s favourite lullaby was included thank to Berlin-based Latvian singer Diana Moon Cerne, who convinced German producers to include “Aijā, žūžū” in “Lullabies of the World” collection.

“Latvia is a small country, but we have very beautiful music and talented people. I wish we showed our work more actively to others without fear of being judged. I wish we were more proud of our rich national heritage,” – she said.

Ref: 103.109.109.9235

1. SandraOsis says:

Countless Latvian babies, including I, my children and grandchildren went off to dream land with this song.

2. Vivian Sterste says:

How wonderful! Of course this is! I always knew it in my heart. My grandmother, mother and father would sing this to me and I to my children. How nice it would be if I could find a link on this article where I could hear it. Could you add that, please?

3. Anonymous says:

Try to google it, or to find in youtube.com :)

4. Zane says:

There is amazing website http://www.pasakas.net where you can find a lot of Latvian lullabies, animations etc.

5. Anonymous says:

Indeed a wonderful melody! Incredibly connects!!

6. Morra says:

Simply and very peaceful melody.

7. Liene says:

Where is this compilation available? The only “Lullabies of the World” that seems to surface in a search is the Russian animated project…

8. Anonymous says:

Latvija has some of the most beautiful songs and singers in the world.

9. biruta apins steinblums /webb/// says:

that is so great /since I am from Latvia.

10. Zaiga says:

When I worked as a nanny in UK I noticed that this song calmed down children (and me?) best.

11. Arija Pilskalns says:

A gentle, soothing lullaby with a beautiful, nature centred story-line that all our family, from my mother to my grandchildren, drifted into sleep with.

12. Ilze Richters Pelkaus says:

Congratulations to Diana Moon Cerne……..”cik jauki” Thank you from all
    of us……

13. LauraZaigaGaldina-Born says:

Briniskigi! Fantastic!

14. Erika says:

I sing Aija zuz to my son every night when putting him to bed. My mother started this tradition with me when I was a little girl.

15. JPR says:

Latvia should take care of her heritage and expel foreign elements!

16. Anita Herman says:

Yes the Latvian lullaby is very effective and really does make you sleepy!

17. ian stowe says:

very nice but would have liked to hear it

18. Maris says:

Here it is – youtu.be/RuaFHHo3noo

19. Anonymous says:

My dad sang this to my brother and I when we were babes, i remember it well so soothing

20. Lija says:

I grew up with this song Aijā Žūžū and I sing to my kids now!

21. Uldis says:

Thank You Diana Moon Cerne!

22. dool says:

No Niggers

23. madara says:

I sing this song to my son every night. ;)

24. Erika says:

I remember my mom singing this to me as a child and now I sing this every night to my kids.

25. Vija says:

My Mom sang this to me and I have always loved it!!

26. Astrid says:

I’m a first generation Latvian-American. Both my parents immigrated from Latvia back in the late 40’s. Unfortunately both of my parents have passed but I still remember my mother singing Aija, zuzu to me. They are correct; it IS a beautiful lullaby! I’m so happy Latvia is starting to get recognition for all of their wonderful heritage!

27. Hugo says:

I had been a singer for more than 30 years and I thought I had heard pretty much everything. And then I landed in Latvia to do a gig and in return people sang for us. It hit me right in the pit of my stomach, one incredibly beautiful song after an other. And everybody knew them and sang along in improvised harmony. I ended up in tears and I wasn’t even drunk…

28. Dianne says:

My mother escaped Latvia as a 16 year old, when the Russians came across the border. She immigrated to Canada and I was born when she was 26 years old. She sang this song to me and it was the first song I ever learned. I can still sing it. When I recently reunited with my lost cousins in Latvia I asked about the song. They had me sing it. We were all weeping at the end of it. They told me it was a popular lullabye. My mom left us many years ago.

29. Roksija says:

This buatafful lullaby was sung by our mother to all of children as long as I can remember!

30. Kate Bradshaw Tauvon says:

I would love to hear this. Latvian music and dance is beautiful!

31. kbomis64 says:

My parents were born in Latvia and I had more great aunts sing this to me with there less than beautiful voices but I am being blessed with a great nephew this overnight and can’t wait to sing it to him to make sure he goes to sleep but also gets an early taste of the language and culture he came from.

32. karlbomis64 says:

love this lullaby and can’t wait to sing it to my great nephew who should arrive this morning

33. Cindy Veidemane says:

Yes, beautiful. My Latvian father sang it to me a dn then to my children. I now sing it to my first granddaughter. It is very special

SRS uncovers numerous violations more than half of inspected companies

State Revenue Service’s Tax Control Office performed a total of 305 thematic inspections of employers in Latvia in Q1 2018. Authorities recorded violations in 171 inspections, according to information from SRS.

Third level pension plan deposit volumes reach new record value

Residents’ interest for pension savings remains high. The volume of deposits made to private pension funds in the first three months of 2018 has reached a new historic peak: a total of EUR 16.5 million has been paid to 3rd level pension accounts, which is 11.6% more when compared to the same period of 2017, as reported by Finance and Capital Market Commission.

Petrol station network in Latvia caught performing fraudulent activities with diesel fuel

State Revenue Service’s Tax and Customs Police have uncovered and put an end to a fraudulent scheme with diesel fuel performed by some network of petrol stations in Latvia, as confirmed by the service.

Kaimiņš: I believe CPCB is performing a political order

In the evening of Thursday, 21 June, Corruption Prevention and Combating Bureau released three people previously detained as part of a criminal process regarding possible illegal funding of KPV LV party – Saeima deputy Artuss Kaimiņš, his colleague Atis Zakatistovs, and businessman Viesturs Tamužs.

Latvia’s parliament conceptually supports new sanction regulations

On Thursday, 21 June, Saeima supported in the final reading amendments to the Law on International Sanctions and National Sanctions of the Republic of Latvia that are meant to improve sanction regime regulations to ensure efficient application of national and international sanctions, as reported by Saeima press-service.

Storm in Tallinn floods streets, cuts Croatia-Argentina match short on TV

A rain storm has hit northern Estonia on Thursday, flooding some streets in the capital Tallinn, damaged buildings and badly affected the broadcast of an interesting World Cup game.

American banks tested for financial stress show positive results

The U.S. has performed banking stress tests and found that the 35 largest banks operating in the country have enough funds on hand to sail safely through a severe financial crisis.

Saeima fires judge for coming to work in a drunken state

On Thursday, 21 June, Latvia’s parliament supported the proposal to dismiss Rezekne Court judge Arvis Garais from his post. 71 deputies voted in favour, no one abstained and no one voted against.

UK to have three requirements to EU citizens willing to remain in UK

For citizens of the European Union willing to continue living in the UK after the country leaves the bloc, they will have to submit applications and answer three key questions over the internet, according to the country's interior minister.

Weather in Latvia to be rainy and cool during Ligo; next week’s weather to be dry and hot

Weather at the end of the week in Latvia will be dictated by a cyclone. Because of that, there will be instances of rain on Ligo. Weather is expected to improve next week, however, according to Latvia’s State Environment, Geology and Meteorology Centre.

Lithuania’s blood plasma corruption scandal extends to Latvia

The former head of Lithuania‘s National Blood Centre, suspected of corruption and involvement in unlicenced activity, received more bad news this week from Latvia, where investigators of the Lithuanian Special Investigation Service had questioned the Latvian Health minister, Anda Čakša.

Administrative burden to be reduced for foreign students and researchers

The administrative burden will be reduced for foreign students and researchers, as well as all education and research institutions hosting them. This is provided by the amendments to the Immigration Law approved by the Saeima in the third reading on Thursday, 21 June.

Latvian Economy Minister endures no-confidence vote

Saeima declined opposition deputies’ request for dismissal of Economy Minister Arvils Ašeradens.

Swedbank economist becomes new member of Bank of Latvia Council

On Thursday, 21 June, Latvia’s Saeima approved Mārtiņš Kazāks in his new post as member of Bank of Latvia Council, as confirmed by Saeima’s press-service.

Pope Francis’ visit to Latvia will be a national holiday

Latvia’s parliament has approved in the final reading a law that makes 24 September – the day Pope Francis plans to visit Latvia – a national holiday.

ICT specialist numbers in Latvia are below Europe’s average level

In Latvia, information and communication technology specialists form only 2.2% of all employed people in the country, which is considerably below the average level in the European Union – 3.7%. Romania and Greece are the only two EU member states in which the number of ICT specialists is below Latvia’s, according to European Commission’s DESI index.

Hungary adopts prison sentence for helping migrants

Hungarian National Assembly has passed a set of laws criminalising with prison terms some help provided to illegal immigrants by non-governmental organisations.

Harmony plans turning to Constitutional Court to prevent transition to Latvian language in schools

«Why should this reform stay unrealized? It is because schools are not prepared for cardinal changes coming from dozens of other reforms that have already shocked the country’s entire general education system,» says chairman of National Minority School Parents Forum and member of Harmony’s work group in Konstantīns Čekušins.

Deputies detained in KPV LV criminal case not declared suspects yet

Saeima deputy Artuss Kaimiņš and businessman Viesturs Tamužs detained in the criminal process regarding possibly illegal funding of KPV LV party have not yet been declared suspects. Both are currently in police custody. It is likely Kaimiņš will be released later today, 21 June.

Production of mines and grenades planned in Estonia

As the Estonian parliament has adopted new rules on military arms and ammunition production in the country, local defence firm Eesti Arsenal has voiced its plan to build a factory in Estonia to make military explosives.

Total tax debts in Latvia reached EUR 1.224 billion in June

At the beginning of June, total tax debts in Latvia, including topical, halted debts and extended repayment terms were equal to EUR 1.233 billion, which is 0.6% less compared to May, as reported by State Revenue Service.

Switch off internet nationwide during exams – Algerian approach

In an attempt to prevent cheating during secondary school exams, the north African nation Algeria, has turned off internet in its whole territory.

Control Service proposes kicking out shell companies as intensely as offshore companies

Shell companies in Latvia should be combated with the same intensity once shown to offshore companies, says chief of Anti-Money Laundering Service Ilze Znotiņa.

EU imposes tariffs on blue jeans, motorcycles and other U.S. export goods

The European Union will introduce retaliatory tariffs against U.S. exports on Friday, EU Trade Commissioner has stated a top official has stated in the bloc's reaction to Washington imposing steep duties on steel and aluminium earlier in June.

Latvia’s Saeima proposes improving job-combining rules for state officials

On Wednesday, 20 June, Latvian parliament’s Public Administration and Local Government Committee decided to submit for review amendments to the Law on Prevention of Conflict of Interest in Activities of Public Officials.

Newest comments