bnn.lv Latviski   bnn-news.com English   bnn-news.ru По-русски
Ceturtdiena 18.01.2018 | Name days: Antis, Antons
LatviaLatvia

Latvian lullaby recognized as one of the most beautiful in the world

FaceBook
Twitter
Draugiem
(+31 rating, 31 votes)

Baltic news, News from Latvia, BNN.LV, BNN-NEWS.COM, BNN-NEWS.RULatvian lullaby “Aijā, žūžū” has been included into a compilation disc of the world’s most beautiful lullabies and music book “Lullabies of the world”.

Singers and musicians from all over the world have recorded the most popular lullabies of their countries in an exclusive collection “Lullabies of the World”. Music for the songs was played with authentic national musical instruments of different countries. The compilation includes lullabies from Armenia, Belgium, Germany, China, Finland, France, Greece, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Lebanon, New Zealand, North America, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Spain, South Africa, Czech Republic, Turkish, Hungary and Latvia.

Latvia’s favourite lullaby was included thank to Berlin-based Latvian singer Diana Moon Cerne, who convinced German producers to include “Aijā, žūžū” in “Lullabies of the World” collection.

“Latvia is a small country, but we have very beautiful music and talented people. I wish we showed our work more actively to others without fear of being judged. I wish we were more proud of our rich national heritage,” – she said.

Ref: 103.109.109.9235

1. SandraOsis says:

Countless Latvian babies, including I, my children and grandchildren went off to dream land with this song.

2. Vivian Sterste says:

How wonderful! Of course this is! I always knew it in my heart. My grandmother, mother and father would sing this to me and I to my children. How nice it would be if I could find a link on this article where I could hear it. Could you add that, please?

3. Anonymous says:

Try to google it, or to find in youtube.com :)

4. Zane says:

There is amazing website http://www.pasakas.net where you can find a lot of Latvian lullabies, animations etc.

5. Anonymous says:

Indeed a wonderful melody! Incredibly connects!!

6. Morra says:

Simply and very peaceful melody.

7. Liene says:

Where is this compilation available? The only “Lullabies of the World” that seems to surface in a search is the Russian animated project…

8. Anonymous says:

Latvija has some of the most beautiful songs and singers in the world.

9. biruta apins steinblums /webb/// says:

that is so great /since I am from Latvia.

10. Zaiga says:

When I worked as a nanny in UK I noticed that this song calmed down children (and me?) best.

11. Arija Pilskalns says:

A gentle, soothing lullaby with a beautiful, nature centred story-line that all our family, from my mother to my grandchildren, drifted into sleep with.

12. Ilze Richters Pelkaus says:

Congratulations to Diana Moon Cerne……..”cik jauki” Thank you from all
    of us……

13. LauraZaigaGaldina-Born says:

Briniskigi! Fantastic!

14. Erika says:

I sing Aija zuz to my son every night when putting him to bed. My mother started this tradition with me when I was a little girl.

15. JPR says:

Latvia should take care of her heritage and expel foreign elements!

16. Anita Herman says:

Yes the Latvian lullaby is very effective and really does make you sleepy!

17. ian stowe says:

very nice but would have liked to hear it

18. Maris says:

Here it is – youtu.be/RuaFHHo3noo

19. Anonymous says:

My dad sang this to my brother and I when we were babes, i remember it well so soothing

20. Lija says:

I grew up with this song Aijā Žūžū and I sing to my kids now!

21. Uldis says:

Thank You Diana Moon Cerne!

22. dool says:

No Niggers

23. madara says:

I sing this song to my son every night. ;)

24. Erika says:

I remember my mom singing this to me as a child and now I sing this every night to my kids.

25. Vija says:

My Mom sang this to me and I have always loved it!!

26. Astrid says:

I’m a first generation Latvian-American. Both my parents immigrated from Latvia back in the late 40’s. Unfortunately both of my parents have passed but I still remember my mother singing Aija, zuzu to me. They are correct; it IS a beautiful lullaby! I’m so happy Latvia is starting to get recognition for all of their wonderful heritage!

27. Hugo says:

I had been a singer for more than 30 years and I thought I had heard pretty much everything. And then I landed in Latvia to do a gig and in return people sang for us. It hit me right in the pit of my stomach, one incredibly beautiful song after an other. And everybody knew them and sang along in improvised harmony. I ended up in tears and I wasn’t even drunk…

28. Dianne says:

My mother escaped Latvia as a 16 year old, when the Russians came across the border. She immigrated to Canada and I was born when she was 26 years old. She sang this song to me and it was the first song I ever learned. I can still sing it. When I recently reunited with my lost cousins in Latvia I asked about the song. They had me sing it. We were all weeping at the end of it. They told me it was a popular lullabye. My mom left us many years ago.

29. Roksija says:

This buatafful lullaby was sung by our mother to all of children as long as I can remember!

30. Kate Bradshaw Tauvon says:

I would love to hear this. Latvian music and dance is beautiful!

31. kbomis64 says:

My parents were born in Latvia and I had more great aunts sing this to me with there less than beautiful voices but I am being blessed with a great nephew this overnight and can’t wait to sing it to him to make sure he goes to sleep but also gets an early taste of the language and culture he came from.

32. karlbomis64 says:

love this lullaby and can’t wait to sing it to my great nephew who should arrive this morning

33. Cindy Veidemane says:

Yes, beautiful. My Latvian father sang it to me a dn then to my children. I now sing it to my first granddaughter. It is very special

Betsafe: To Latvia from the Heart has laughable chance of entering next Saeima

With declining ratings, Inguna Sudraba’s party To Latvia from The Heart has been left with laughable chances of entering the next Saeima, Betsafe bookmakers say.

EU Affairs Committee: EU Digital Single Market motivated Latvia to perform reforms

European Union’s Digital Single Market strategy offered new opportunities for Latvian businessmen to actively present their services in other member states. The strategy also served as an impulse for the business environment and state administration. The strategy motivates our government to walk the road of reformation more actively and clean up messes that have remained for a long time, said chairperson of Saeima’s European Affairs Committee Lolita Čigāne on Wednesday, 17 January.

Expert: Zhdanok’s decision to leave EP was carefully calculated to revive Latvian Russians Union

The decision made by member of the European Parliament (EP) and leader of Latvian Russians Union (LRU) Tatyana Zhdanok, in accordance with which she intends to leave the European Parliament to instead focus on LRU’s election campaign, was a carefully calculated step to reanimate the party, said dean of Social Sciences Faculty of the University of Latvia Juris Rozenvalds.

Maxima Latvia expects price decline up to 15% in 2018

Following Maxima Latvija’s decision to reduce prices for nearly 1,000 important goods, it is expected that a similar step will be made by other players in the industry. This could mean prices for everyday goods could decline by up to 15%, as BNN was informed by the company.

Latvia’s economy reaches highest peak since 2015

Residents’ mood has improved for most positions of the study. Residents were positive the most about ongoing changes for Latvia’s economy, the value of which has reached its peak since July 2015. In spite of optimistic changes, however, 30% of respondents are critical about ongoing economic changes in Latvia, according to results of the latest Baltic International Bank’s Latvian Barometer.

Riga exchange hopes for new securities issuers this year

There are hopes to see new Latvian businesses release shares on the stock market this year, says chairperson of Nasdaq Riga Daiga Auziņa-Melalksne.

Latvian universities to offer students an innovative grant system

To help develop students’ innovative and business abilities, Latvian Education and Science Ministry has developed a new student grant system, which will focus mainly on supporting innovative projects and research and further improve cooperation between universities and leading businesses to attract human resources, the ministry reports.

Russian sociologists fear closure, quit publishing election polls

Russian leading independent polling organisation Levada Center has stated it has quit releasing results of polls on the country’s spring presidential election citing concern that the authorities could close it down for what they see as meddling in politics.

Court maintains pledge on former LAR leader’s bank accounts and owned property

Court has applied pledge status on property and bank accounts owned by Riga City Council member Mārtiņš Bondars to enforce EUR 15 million from him as part of Latvijas Krajbanka criminal case, as reported by TV3 News.

McDonald’s to use unrecycled packaging for 7 more years

World’s largest catering chain McDonalds has set the aim of ensuring that by 2025 all its packaging would be from either from recycled or renewable materials, which would be an increase current proportion of a half.

Saeima speaker: Judicial Affairs Council’s work should be more apparent

Work performed by the Judicial Affairs Council should be made more apparent, said Saeima speaker Ināra Mūrniece during her meeting with Supreme Court chairman Ivars Bičkovičs.

Mass protests in Greece do not hold back new bailout reforms

The parliament of Greece has adopted a large set of reforms pushed for by international creditors in return for more bailout money, despite approximately 20 000 people protesting outside the parliament and brief clashes with riot police breaking out.

Foster families in Latvia to receive larger benefits

Municipal administrations have a duty to pay larger benefits for child care when children are put in foster families, Latvian Welfare Ministry reports.

Government plans to improve anti-doping measures in Latvia

During a meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers, a legislative draft developed by Healthcare Ministry on adding changes to the Sports Law for the improvement the country’s anti-doping measures was approved.

Only 12% of workers know their organization’s IT security policy

Businesses around the world still suffer from a catastrophically low level of awareness for IT matters, according to a study performed by Kaspersky Lab and B2B International.

Parents let children on ice in spite of temporary restriction

On Sunday, 14 January, officers of Riga Municipal Police observed with video-recording equipment how two people were skating on the surface of Victory Park’s pond. Because it is banned for people to remain on ice of large bodies of water in Riga, officers were sent in.

Czech President to be determined in duel between Zeman and Drahoš

In the Czech presidential election, no candidate has garnered a half of the votes and its result will be determined in a run-off between the current eursceptic President and a pro-European academic.

Aldaris: non-alcoholic beer market in Latvia grew 9% in 2017

Aldaris concluded 2017 with a significant increase in their non-alcoholic beer category of products. Demand for non-alcoholic beer has increased across all of Latvia – market growth was 9% in 2017, as reported by the company’s representatives.

Politician reports meddling with e-health system; prime minister parries

Last Thursday, 11 January, e-health system ‘suffered malfunctions’, which suggests that it may have been hacked, Saeima’s Social and Employment Matters Committee head Aija Barča mentioned in an interview to Latvijas Radio.

Pension fund cautious about 500-million-euro bridge project to Saaremaa

Commenting on the idea that Estonian pension funds could invest into the ambitious project of building a bridge from mainland Estonia to the country’s largest island, Swedish Swedbank has expressed caution.

Study: more than half of Latvians do not trust other people

52% of Latvian residents believe most people cannot be trusted. Only 5% of residents are ready to trust their fellow man. Less than one-fifth of Latvian residents trust decision-makers, according to results of a study performed by SKDS.

Economic expert: 2018 expected to be good for investors

«This year promises to be good for investors, because global economy is on a rise and profits of businesses have a tendency to grow,» says Luminor economic expert Gints Belēvičs.

Estonia counts more residents for 3rd consecutive year

Registering an increase in the Estonian population for the third consecutive year, Estonian statisticians have estimated that the population has increased by 3,070 people to 1,318,700 residents. They have also warned that this is preliminary data, which could still change considerably as unregistered immigration has not been included.

Russian school struck by teenager knife attack

In a knife attack on a school in Perm, Russia, eleven children and a teacher have suffered injuries.

NA: city council has to consider new partnership approach for Agenskalns market

Riga City Council members have to decide what is more important for Agenskalns market’s development: rate or quality. There are two options: force a closed market development with an auction of long-term lease or consider public private partnership option. Such a proposal was submitted to Riga City Council’s City Property Committee by the faction of the National Alliance.

Would you be ready to boycott something in your life?

View Results