Also a Lithuanian boat lent a helping hand in rescuing passengers from the cruise liner Costa Concordia, which ran aground near the Italian coast.
Photographers from The Associated Press have clearly captured the boat named Spygliukas. A giant sinking liner is in the background of a little boat, which has a Lithuanian name on the side of it, reports The Lithuania Tribune, referring to lrytas.lt.
On the other end of the boat there is a name “Poseidon Sun”.
The Lithuanian Maritime Safety Administration points out that the boat named Spygliukas is not registered in The Register of Seagoing Ships of the Republic of Lithuania. This means that it is not owned by any Lithuanian navigation company. This means a Lithuanian could have sold the boat to a foreigner.
- Costa Concordia’s black box was not functional even before the catastrophe
- Prosecutor wants Costa Concordia captain to be jailed for 2 697 years
- Costa Concordia to be lifted from the bottom of the sea
- The captain of the wrecked ship telling lies
- Costa Concordia: possible ecological catastrophe imminent
- Costa Concordia losses to hit 95 million dollars
Even though the proportion of women in higher education increases every year, only 30% of all scientists in the world are women, according to data compiled by UNESCO.
This Thursday, March 6th, the Austrian Court lifted the arrest warrant issued in Latvia against Vladimirs Vaškevičs.
This week, in the U.S., Newsweek magazine reported that the secretive person who created the Bitcoin cryptocurrency is Japanese-American Satoshi Nakamoto. However, the man has denied relation to Bitcoin in a subsequent interview with the Associated Press.
At the beginning of March, ABLV Bank’s mortgage service centre was relocated to new premises located on Elizabetes Street 21a – an exclusive complex Elizabetes Park House.
On March 6th, Kuldiga was given the ‘Vision for Innovation in Sustainable Tourism Award’ or ‘VISTA 2014’ during the international tourism ‘ITB 2014’ exhibition.
Russian market is still closed to Estonian fish exporters but the situation in Ukraine has had a negative impact on produce sales in this country. Seeing the unpredictability of CIS nations, Estonian fish industry seeks to increase its presence in Nordic and Central European markets.
During the meeting of Reform Party’s Board, a decision was made not to compile a list of candidates for the European Parliament elections.
Russia has carried out a military intervention in Ukraine because Vladimir Putin fears another ‘Maidan’ breaking out in Russia, which could result in him being overthrown, believes former head of the Latvian Constitution Protection Bureau Jānis Kažociņš.
The U.S. photo agency Getty Images, considered as the world's largest, has decided to make 35 million of its photos free to use via embedding in blogs and social media.
The proportion of women engaged in business continues to grow, as shown by results of a survey by Firmas.lv and Baltic Consultancies.
Valdis Dombrovskis’ decision to withdraw his candidacy for the post of European Commission President is linked to his tactical planning and only increases his chances of acquiring some other important post in the EU.
In a telephone conversation, President Barack Obama of the U.S. has called on this Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin to search for a diplomatic solution to the crisis in Crimea.
Saeima strongly condemns Russia’s military aggression in Ukraine. At the same time, Latvian parliament expresses its strong support for Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial unity. The parliament also recognizes the legitimacy of Ukraine’s Supreme Rada, as said in this Thursday’s approved Saeima’s decision in regard to Russia’s aggression in Ukraine.
This Thursday, March 6th, the Supreme Council of Autonomous Republic of Crimea decided in favour of joining the Russian Federation as a subject of the federation, as announced by the first Vice-Prime Minister of Crimea Rustam Temirgaliyev.
Industrial production in January of this year (according to calendar adjusted data at constant prices) has dropped by 11%. Reduction in manufacturing was 11.3%; that of electricity and gas supply – by 11.4%, whereas industrial production in mining and quarrying has grown by 5.7%.
KPMG: management representatives of Central and Eastern European companies often involve in illegal activities
Management of companies located in Central and Eastern European countries more often than others get involved in different illegal activities, according to results of a survey by KPMG. This survey includes information about 596 fraud cases around the world, including 70 in CEE region.
Estonia's business sector has made a total profit of 3.1 billion euros in 2013, which is a 5% increase from 2012. Profits have risen in key business areas, except manufacturing.
On 3 June 2014, Latvian airline airBaltic will launch a new route between Riga and the Romanian capital of Bucharest. The new four weekly return flights will offer convenient connections between the two capitals and beyond to destinations in the Baltic region, Scandinavia and Russia as reported by the airline.
Among all 27 countries of the European Union, Latvia is on the 25th place in terms of innovations – it is the lowest index in the Baltics. It is worth noting, however, that Croatia was not yet part of the EU when the Innovation Union Scoreboard 2013 was being compiled.
Latvia’s gas market will be opened no sooner than April 2017. This is provided by amendments to the Energy Law that were reviewed by the Saeima Economic, Agricultural, Environmental and Regional Policy Committee.
Former Prime Minister of Latvia has exited the competition for the post of President of the European Commission, as reported by Rīta Panorāma programme of LTV.
This Thursday, March 6th, the Saeima will discuss a bill on Russia’s aggression in Ukraine. This bill is meant to strongly condemn the military aggression used by the Russian Federation against Ukraine and express Latvia’s unchanged support for Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial unity, as well as legitimacy of Ukraine’s Supreme Rada.
President Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela has denied a mediation offer by the Organization of American States and suspended bilateral relations with Panama, while deadly protests in Caracas show no sign of ending.
United States of America plan to increase military support for Baltic States and Poland, as it was reported by US Secretary of Defence Chuck Hagel this Wednesday.
- PHOTO: people rally in Lithuania in support of Ukraine's protesters
- Lithuania: Accession promise to Ukraine would make EU-Russia relations more constructive
- British newspaper suggests Lithuania as alternative to investment in Asia's stock markets
- Lithuania registers company intended for Rail Baltica 2 project
- Lithuania reviews its six months of EU Council presidency
- Lithuania sends its first two satellites into space
- Lithuania could stop cooperation with Gazprom after opening of its own gas terminal
- Value of Lithuania's largest dairy factory surges after Russia removes ban on dairy products
- Lithuania concludes its presidency over the European Council
- Lithuania continues heating pipeline modernisation
Top 5 Business news
- Economic diary. Government will help young families
- Rimi Latvia: there is a certain feeling that job in a supermarket is the last thing anyone would choose
- Latvian companies exporting to Ukraine suffer losses
- Economic calendar of Latvia. March 3 - 7, 2014
- KPMG: management representatives of Central and Eastern European companies often involve in illegal activities
Top 5 Social news
- Latvia’s ex-president criticizes the world’s reaction to Russia’s aggression against Ukraine
- Economic diary. Government will help young families
- Latvian Security Police is concerned over spread of radical opinions on the internet
- Latvia starts introducing sanctions against Ukrainian officials
- Latvian President’s Chancellery tries to explain the President’s reluctance to interrupt his vacation
Top 5 World news
Top 5 Video
Allen @ 2014-03-07 14:27:32
jj @ 2014-03-07 12:25:10
Linda @ 2014-03-06 15:04:37
Linda @ 2014-03-06 14:55:02
Linda @ 2014-03-06 14:40:48
If Russia view is that Yanokovich is "incapable of being in charge" why is this crisis continuing. Russia - be a Gt Power and work with the interim government in Ukraine not against them. Stop posturing! A Gt Power is one that allows ex. empire nations to find their own destiny and helps/guides without exerting undue and unwanted pressure/threats. Surprise us - be a friend!