It is impossible for Lithuania to build the Visagina Nuclear Power Plant alone – as it is this project can only be carried out as a joint regional effort, says the President of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaite.
«The project of the new NPP, and how it is being realized today and any other similar project can only be realized as a joint regional effort. It is too ambitious for Lithuania to carry alone,» – ITAR-TASS cites the President’s words.
According to Grybauskaite, this project is at its very beginning. «It will only gain real ground in 2014-2015, and it can only be realized with the help of our neighbours – the participation of regional partners,»- the President said.
As it is known, Lithuania plans to construct the VNPP with the help of its regional partners – Latvia and Estonia. Poland was considered as a partner in the past as well. However, in December 2011, Warsaw announced that it will not be partaking in this joint effort.
At the same time, Latvian Prime Minister said that if Latvia’s economic interests are ignored, Riga will also exit. Estonia said the same.
The construction of the NPP is the most expensive project since the restoration of Lithuania’s independence, because the planned expenses are estimated at five billion EUR.
- Lithuanian Economy Minister: we need cheaper gas, not reactors
- Lithuanian government reconsiders nuclear plant
- Lukashenko: Belarus wants to build two NPPs
- Signing term of Visagina concession contract is prolonged for Latvia
- Lithuanian parliament approves Visagina NPP construction
- Latvia needs ambitious conditions for Visagina NPP
- The Visagina Concession contract was not compiled due to lack of experience
- Lithuanian NPP construction may start in 2015
- Estonia still to decide on its role in Lithuanian NPP
Moscow traffic police pay more attention to cars with foreign license plates because such vehicles are often used in crimes, according to the press office of the State Traffic Safety Inspectorate for Moscow.
Latvian residents overpaid a total of 12 million LVL when purchasing expensive compensated medications last year, as reported by the director of the National Health Service Maris Taube at the opening of the “Ārstējies nepārmaksājot” (Don't overpay for treatment) informative campaign.
Sales of the Galaxy S4 smartphone have reached 10 million in «record» time, Samsung announced on May 23.
Compared to March, the overall level of producer prices in Latvian industry in April 2013 increased by 0.1%. The producer prices of products sold on the domestic market rose by 1.1%, whereas prices of exported products reduced by 0.9%.
An 80-year-old Japanese mountaineer became the oldest person to reach the top of Mount Everest on Thursday — although his record may last only a few days. An 81-year-old Nepalese man, who held the previous record, plans his own ascent next week.
I deny the information that the whereabouts of the suspended director of the Customs Criminal Office of the State Revenue Service Vladimir Vaskevics are unknown, says his wife business woman Inara Vilkaste.
US car giant Ford Motor will shut all its Australian manufacturing plants by October 2016, after more than 85 years of making vehicles in the country.
Bomb disposal specialists of the Latvian National Armed Forces (LNAF) successfully neutralized the 500 kg aircraft bomb that was recently found in Ventspil port.
Yesterday, May 21, a 500 kg large aircraft bomb was found on the premises of Ventspils port, 3rd Zemessardze disttict headquarters representative Zanda Tamulone reports.
On Wednesday, May 22, the Enterprise Register of the Republic of Latvia registered a joint company - Kredītinformācijas Birojs – founded by a number of Latvian commercial banks – SEB bank, Swedbank, Nordea, DNB bank, Citadele bank and ABLV Bank. The goal of the newly founded enterprise is to have it function as a credit bureau.
The Baltic States continue to come close to the average level of the European Union – in the middle of 2011, the average income per capita in the Baltic states were above the peak of the pre-crisis period.
The Baltic States have been the most rapidly growing economies in the European Union lately, and they can retain their positions in the future as well. Economic growth in Latvia and Lithuania is expected to slow down this year. That in Estonia will remain unchanged – 3.3% respectively.
The general money offer index and attracted finances of credit institutions increased slightly this April. The general cash money demand, on the other hand, had reduced. There was also a moderate reduction in the general credit portfolio.
Apple found itself in front of a Senate Subcommittee Tuesday, May 21, defending its elaborate practice of keeping cash offshore in order to minimize their tax liability. But Apple is far from the only company that does this.
There are two scenarios available for the development of Latvia's economy – stay smart and grow naturally, or use a basis of cheap expenses – attract cheap workforce, Latvian Economy Minister Daniels Pavluts believes. The minister points to the growing interest of Russian business in Latvia, which could potentially lead toward rapid development.
- Lithuania may seek another ban of farming land sale
- Lithuania requires company names to be in Lithuanian | 1
- Estonian PM: Lithuanians need a new referendum | 1
- Hörmann to build regional logistics hub near Vilnius
- Lithuania's biggest credit union may become a regular bank
- Lithuanian apartment prices down in Q1, old house prices rise
- Lithuania to renew nuclear talks with Hitachi and Baltic States
- Hesburger to build a mayonnaise plant in Lithuania
- Estonians to develop four office buildings in Vilnius for EUR 44m
- Kaunas airport grows in popularity among Latvians
Top 5 Business news
- Economic Diary: Smash Business with Taxes
- PAA bath manufacturer modernizes production plant and creates Silk Stone material
- Oil deposit exploration in Latvia's waters; project managed by people close to Lembergs
- Prudentia distances from the consequences of the advices it once gave
- Friendship with Unity – the only thing that keeps Prudentia afloat?
Top 5 Social news
- Economic Diary: Smash Business with Taxes
- Criminal proceedings initiated following searches in RCC Transport Department
- Weekends expected to have +30° C heat in Latvia
- Combined heat and power plants produced 64% of the total heating energy in Latvia in 2012
- Latvia will not be organizing the 2017 World Ice Hockey Championship
Top 5 World news
Top 5 Video
Français abusés @ 2013-05-23 20:13:55
Nous avions cru bien faire en offrant une voiture renault clio en très bon état à une femme lettone qui prétendait ne pas en avoir et qui ne parlait que de sa misérable vie. Depuis Paris, Il a fallu prendre le bateau en Allemagne pour livrer la voiture à Riga. En réalité, elle était propriétaire d'une LANCIA qu'elle avait bien cachée
Egon @ 2013-05-23 12:07:44
Brian @ 2013-05-23 09:51:35
@ 2013-05-23 09:20:57
@ 2013-05-23 05:57:30